x 

Cart empty

Find Us Elsewhere

TOPIC: Help with GTIN options

Help with GTIN options 6 months 3 weeks ago #2982

• puresc
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

I have just downloaded and installed GoogleBaseXML and I am busy configuring it so I can generate the product feed.
I have an online shop that sells cosmetics all from the same manufacturer. I have asked the manufacturer to send me the EAN and MPN codes so I can introduce them. I have noticed that I can use the SKU to replace them. Can I use SKU to replace for GTIN and MPN? Or Google will think that is a mistake?

Also I sell some packs of products that I put together. I read on the google help page that in that case I can set the Unique Product Identifier as FALSE for those products. So if my settings for GTIN are:
Use SKU for GTIN can I then put Use Identifier exists tag as YES? Or I don't have to do that since my custom packs have an SKU assigned?

Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help with GTIN options 6 months 3 weeks ago #2983

• boggler
  • Thank you received: 77
Hello, no you should not use the SKU for the GTIN in your situation. A value that you supply to Google as a GTIN should always be a valid one, you can't supply a made-up one.

We only include that option because some sites do use the GTIN as an SKU, so in that case the value stored in the product database as an SKU is a valid GTIN.

I think that you really need to get the GTIN and mpn from the manufacturer. Are they published anywhere, eg on their website? If the same products are being sold elsewhere, eg Amazon, you might be able to get the info from there.

The GooglebaseXML options allow you to set the product identifier as false for products where neither the GTIN or mpn have been added for the product, so you can use this option for the packs that you put together. The problem for you is that the GooglebaseXML feed has no way of knowing whether the identifier actually doesn't exist, or does exist but just has not been added to the product because the manufacturer hasn't yet given the information, so you need to be careful about that, you can only really use that option once you have supplied the info for the products where it does exist.

I hope that this clarifies things, it can be a bit complicated to set up, but it is worth getting it right, giving Google the right info does improve the visibility of your products.

Help with GTIN options 6 months 3 weeks ago #2984

• puresc
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

thanks for replying. But I am still confused. The manufacturer has told me that in their case they only use the SKU and it works. I still haven't submitted the feed so I don't know what Google will say. I will keep the configuration as: Use SKU to replace GTIN and see what happens.

I do not understand what you recommend I do for the packs. The SKU for the packs is made up by me. Shall I use the option Use Identifier exists tag as YES or not?

Sorry for all the questions but I am new to all of these and I am trying to make sense of it all.

PS If you want I can share my feed and the manufacturer's feed so you can see them.

Help with GTIN options 6 months 3 weeks ago #2985

• boggler
I think that, because the manufacturers define the mpn, it would be OK for them to use their SKU as the mpn. If you are using the same SKUs for your products then it would therefore be fine for you to use them as your mpn.

But I don't see how you could use them as a GTIN - unless it is the case the number that your manufacturer uses for the SKU actually is the GTIN. You cannot simply make up a GTIN whether you are a manufacturer or vendor, they have to be purchased from a body that can issue them, because they are used to classify the products they have to follow a strict numbering system and be unique. In the UK you get them here: www.gs1uk.org/Pages/default.aspx

Really your manufacturer should already have done this, they are the ones that ought to be able to help you with this. They should know whether their SKU corresponds to a mpn, or a GTIN (also known as EAN or UPC). If the person you have been in contact with does not know this try to find someone who does know the answer. There must be someone within their business who does know the answer. It is possible that they don't know what a GTIN is, perhaps if you explain that they would probably know it as an EAN or barcode number they might understand.

So that the packs are handled correctly, yes you do put the 'Use Identifier exists tag as YES'
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by boggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: puresc

Help with GTIN options 6 months 3 weeks ago #2986

• puresc
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you. The manufacturer just send me the EAN numbers so I will be introducing them. My understanding from the help pages at Google is that the EAN number and the SKU used as MPN and the brand name should be fine.

Lets hope this works.

I will let you know.

Help with GTIN options 6 months 3 weeks ago #2987

• boggler
Yes, this does sound right to me too - let's hope for the best.
Moderators: boggler
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds