Keyword

J 1.5.26 and PHP 5.4 issue with carousel

• Aly22
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #2421 by Aly22
I just moved a Joomla 1.5.26 site to new hosting that is running PHP 5.4 (the old host was 5.3)
The Featured Item Carousel is working fine on the new server - BUT my page is filled up with the following error that I cannot seem to resolve:

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/MYSITE/public_html/modules/mod_featureditems_carousel/helper.php on line 243

This error is repeated continuously down the page, once for each of the 16 items included in my carousel. It is then followed by this single line error:

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/pweacefu/public_html/modules/mod_featureditems_carousel/helper.php on line 41

Any thoughts on how to resolve this "creating default object from empty value" issue?

I will be upgrading the joomla site to current 3.0 by end of the year, but for the moment need to get it moved to new hosting as my client is very unhappy at the old hosting.

EDIT: I have error reporting set to NONE in Global Config and turned off in php.ini yet the error is still displayed.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Aly22. Reason: adding information - I have all error reporting turned off (as far as I know)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aly22
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #2422 by Aly22
Replied by Aly22 on topic J 1.5.26 and PHP 5.4 issue with carousel
Hello! I searched further and discovered this "fix" that has cleared the display of my errors!!

I placed this
error_reporting( E_ERROR | E_PARSE | E_CORE_ERROR | E_CORE_WARNING | E_COMPILE_ERROR | E_COMPILE_WARNING );

right after "define( '_JEXEC', 1 );" on index.php

and all the warnings are GONE!
This should hopefully hold me over till I am able to upgrade the site.
And perhaps help someone else that might encounter this problem.

More
5 years 7 months ago #2423 by boggler
Replied by boggler on topic J 1.5.26 and PHP 5.4 issue with carousel
These are not error messages, they are just information that PHP outputs when you have your site error reporting turned up too high, they do not indicate that anything is wrong. With each new release of PHP there is more of this stuff, most of it irrelevant.

Normally the way to fix it is to go into your site admin, go to configuration change the error reporting option to 'none'. If this was not working then this would be because your host was not allowing the php configuration to be changed dynamically.

This is something that you should really take up with your web hosts, if they have error reporting turned up by default then this is a security risk, attackers can gain information about your system by deliberately causing errors. If you have found a fix that works that is good, but it would be better if your hosts had error reporting turned off by default and allow it to be turned on as needed.

• Aly22
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #2425 by Aly22
Replied by Aly22 on topic J 1.5.26 and PHP 5.4 issue with carousel
Thanks for the reply :)

I had already set my php.ini configuration (it is not a shared server but a VPS) to turn error display off AND global config in Joomla to display None -- but the error message persisted. I tried also adding information to the .htaccess file which did not work, either.

Adding that line to the index.php cleared up the problem, but I will look deeper into my server settings to ensure all is as it should be.

Moderators: boggler
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate to Us

If you like our extensions, consider making a donation to say thanks.