Cart empty

Find Us Elsewhere

2Checkout.com is a worldwide leader in payment services
  • Page:

TOPIC: PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 7 months 4 days ago #791

• hookyou
  • Fresh Boarder
I think I set everything up correctly. The files show up in both the back end and front of VM but when I click the link they do not download. What should I try?

Thank you for your help
The administrator has disabled public write access.

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 7 months 2 days ago #793

• hookyou
  • Fresh Boarder
Nobody? Please?

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 6 months 4 weeks ago #794

• boggler
  • Thank you received: 51
Could you provide a URL where the problem can be seen?

What do you mean by saying the file shows up in the front and back of VM. Do you mean in the media manager?

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 6 months 4 weeks ago #798

• hookyou
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

Yes, I mean the file is in media manager, but also it shows up in the customs fields area. There is also a download link on the webpage, just that if I click it, nothing happens.

Like this:

www.dominikhooker.com/cephas/index.php/p...ipment/yx-2h8-detail

I can PM you access password if you need it.

Thank you

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 6 months 4 weeks ago #800

• boggler
I think this is a problem with your URLS, the download link button is working but it is just redirecting to an index.php page instead of initiating the download. If you notice, the download hits are not being updated, if it was a problem with the file this would be updated. It looks as if the plugin is never being activated when the link is clicked, something is preventing the download URL from working.

You might look at enabling the .htaccess file, the Joomla URLS with mod_rewrite often seem to work better than the ones without.

You could also try changing the headers for the download file to specify a pdf, you would need to edit line 344 in the spiral_freedownload.php file, change:
header("Content-Type: application/octet-stream");

to
header("Content-Type: application/pdf");

I don't think that is the problem but it might be worth trying.

It could also be a problem if you have given the plugin field a default value other than 'spiral_freedownload' in the custom plugin field settings. This value must always be the system name of the plugin field for custom plugins, otherwise they may not work properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hookyou

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 6 months 2 weeks ago #818

• hookyou
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, Thank you for the advice. Unfortunetaly nothing worked. I tried all of your suggestions but I'm still having the same problem.

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 6 months 2 weeks ago #819

• boggler
Unfortunately there is not much else I can suggest. I don't believe this is a problem with the plugin but something is wrong either with your site URLS or the way you have set it up.

The setup is similar to the paid download plugin: http://www.spiralscripts.co.uk/Documentation/spiral-paid-download-plugin-documentation.html.

In particular as I mentioned when you create the custom plugin field it is very important that you leave the 'default' value alone, then when you save it should automatically be set to 'spiral_freedownload' . If you have set the default value to something else the plugin will not work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hookyou

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 6 months 2 weeks ago #820

• hookyou
  • Fresh Boarder
In the end it didn't work. But I figured since you said there shouldn't be anything wrong with it I just uninstalled and reinstalled it and we are all good now. Thank you. :)

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 6 months 2 weeks ago #821

• hookyou
  • Fresh Boarder
This is sort of separate topic maybe but I have two languages, but on switching my language in the back end to set up, I don't get to change the custom field's download file. Is that Virtuemart related or from your plug-in?

It would be nice for the download file to switch depending on site language rather then having them both there at all times.

PDFs not downloading with Spiral Free VM Download 6 months 2 weeks ago #822

• boggler
Glad to hear the problem with the link is solved. I don't know how practical it would be to have the download file change according to the language, it is probably possible but would require some more programming of the plugin. It is something we will think about for future releases.

In the meantime I think that the only thing you can do is to have more than one download link, one for each language. You can have as many links as you want on your product page, to add another one just open the product editor, go to the custom fields tab and add the same custom field again. It will add another instance of the download field, you can select the file in the second language.
  • Page:
Moderators: boggler
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds